Split Stave by Kelvin is a new twist and a return to innovative Split Stave™ casks designed and produced exclusively for Four Gate Whiskey Company by Kelvin Cooperage.
These casks are built by Kelvin by constructing a series of medium-toasted casks and a series of #2 char casks. The barrels were broken down before use and reassembled into Split Stave casks with alternating toasted and charred staves. The result combines the marshmallow and crème brulee sweetness of toasted barrels with the smoky oak of a double-barrel. The underlying whiskey is 7 year old Straight Rye Whiskey distilled in Indiana to a mash bill of 95% rye and 5% malted barley. 2,439 Bottles were produced at full cask strength of 112.5 proof.
Split Stave™ by Kelvin (Batch 10) stats
- Straight Rye Whiskey Finished in New American White Oak Toasted and Charred Casks
- Mash Bill : 95% Rye, 5% Malted Barley
- 112.5 Proof
- 2,439 Bottles
- MSRP: $185
TASTING NOTES FROM THE CHIEF BLENDIGN OFFICER:
- Appearance: Amber
- Nose: Mint, toasted marshmallows, oak, candied citrus.
- Taste: The front palate is greeted by sweet crème brulee while toasted marshmallows line the perimeter. The rear palate gets a hint of black pepper and spices with pleasing warm oak.
- Finish: Medium in length, spicy notes and marshmallows mingle on the mid palate.